Thursday, September 8, 2011

Lunch Edition

I started back at school this week and need to remember to pack my lunch again. So today was the time to break in my new Bento box. Bento boxes are Japanese compartmental lunch boxes and it's a point of pride to pack a beautiful lunch for your child or spouse in Japan. Because I overslept, I kept it simple this morning:


Turkey cranberry roulade roll up (3 points+)
salad with raspberry vinaigrette (2 points+)
veggie chips (2 points+)
365 mixed fruit bar
chobani raspberry yogurt
honey crisp apple

The roulade was simple, take a small tortilla and spread half a wedge of laughing cow cheese and then spread a teaspoon of Massachusetts Rubies from Deborah's Kitchen and a 1 oz piece of turkey breast. Roll it up and slice it into little pinwheels. Do the same for a second tortilla and you have a nice little set of roll ups for a total of 3 points plus. Add 1/2 an oz of veggie chips and a salad with couple of teaspoons of raspberry vinaigrette. Now that honey crisp apples are coming into season, I'm super psyched. I picked this one up at the farmer's market the other day. It's a lovely little lunch.

For snack I had my yogurt and fruit bar after a light breakfast. It took all of 5 minutes to throw everything together and get out the door.

I'm a big advocate of things like Bentos because it turns out that the average student generates over 40 pounds of garbage with single use bags, packaging and other materials. A reusable Bento reduces significant amounts of solid waste. Soon I'll have photos of more traditional packages with rice and little shaped vegetables and such.

0 comments:

What's For Dinner?   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP